This recipe was originally posted by another local Champaign-Urbana blog that has since gone private. It is from a well known local BBQ spot, I’ve made it a few times and others wanted the recipe, so here goes.
This makes ~25 servings, so reduce as needed.
- 10 lbs new potatoes
- 12 slices bacon, cooked
- 4 cups shredded cheddar
- 4 cups sour cream
- 8 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 lb butter
- Boil the new potatoes until cooked through.
- Chop the cooked bacon into small pieces
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, bacon, cheese, sour cream, onions, milk and butter
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Mash everything together until well blended
- Spoon mixture into a baking pan
- Bake at 350F for 35 min
If you want to, you can do everything up to baking the mixture in advance, but plan for a considerably longer cooking time if the mixture has been refrigerated.